I'm in one of those crazy jobs that not only has a pretty strict dress-code, it has an honest-to-goodness uniform. Not only does it have a uniform, it has body-composition standards. Standards which I don't meet anymore. My boss took me into his office to explain that if I don't show consistent, significant weight loss that I would lose my job.
I'm also going through a medical review to see if I am entitled to benefits from my employer for injuries sustained while on the job.
Both things are stressful and different from each other. The being-fat thing could end my career before the medical board has its findings and I could be out with nothing. The medical board has had several false starts and apparently will last many more months without guarantee of a satisfactory conclusion for me.
However, both things also have potential benefits. Being "too fat to function" means that I wouldn't have to stay in this job which, I'll be honest, is more soul-crushing every day. If I end up getting qualified for medical benefits, then I'll have something I can take with me to my next job. In each "losing" scenario, I have a possible upside.
Everyone knows the old Chinese proverb, "Cao Ma Shi Ma" but I'll go ahead and summarize what I think are the high points:
An old man and his son find a wild horse while they are out walking one day.
"You must be very happy," his neighbors said, "to have gained a horse."
"We shall wait and see." The old man said.
One day while working with the horse, the old man's son was hurt. His leg was broken in such a way that he would need a cane to walk for the rest of his life.
"Oh! What a shame! It is a terrible thing that your son has been maimed this way!"
"We shall wait and see." The old man said.
Time passed and the local warlord instituted a draft. Every able-bodied man was sent to fight on the front lines of a vicious war. Many young men did not return. Because of his injury, the old man's son could not go.
The moral of the story is: just because something bad happens, it doesn't mean there won't be a possible good result. Or, "wait and see!"
No comments:
Post a Comment