Friday, January 6, 2017

Thank you, nurses!

Four MRIs later, I have a steroid injection to hopefully alleviate the pain I'm in. There's a pretty succinct entry in Spine-Health that describes the issue:

C6-C7 foraminal stenosis 
Foramina or lateral recesses are the two bony holes (one on each side) through which the nerve roots exit as they branch off the spinal cord and leave the spinal canal.
At the C6-C7 level, the C7 nerve root can become compressed within the foramen, causing pain down the arm, similar to a disc herniation. This occurs when bone spurs develop off the nearby facet joint and/or the corners of the vertebral body resulting in narrowing of the foramen.
The surgeon walked in (after I had waited face down, shirt off, sticky stuff all over my back for half an hour) and proceeded to introduce himself. The nurse explained the setup, informed him of what procedure I required, and then told him (very clearly) right side. He started prepping for the left side injection and Victoria, the nurse, repeated herself somewhat firmly "right side." The surgeon then prepped for right side injection.

I don't know Victoria and I'm certain she will never read this, but I am so grateful to her. Nurses everywhere deserve a huge THANK YOU for all the "small" things they do that go unnoticed and unmentioned. If you are a nurse, or you know one, please say thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment