Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Scrappy Little Nobody (review)

I genuinely had no idea who she was until Pitch Perfect.
Anna Kendrick's Scrappy Little Nobody is a breath of fresh air among biographies. Kendrick's style is reminiscent of Chuck Klosterman (Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs) but is more accessible and funny. Kendrick is a successful actress, her single "Cups" was wildly popular (triple platinum), and she is frequently featured in fashion magazines. While I don't share her experiences, Anna Kendrick is immediately relatable and remains so throughout her book. 

This is a story about a courageous, sensitive, and insightful woman set between stories of firsts and jokes about genitalia. Is there room on the shelf for this often rude romp? Throw out your thesaurus (there's an app for that!) and make room. Scrappy Little Nobody is the best book I have read this year.

While it is a relatively short read, Scrappy Little Nobody provided insights and context into my own experience which greatly enhanced the experience for me. Anna Kendrick opens up about her difficulty assimilating herself into society, her analytical approach to life, and her anxiety. I would not be surprised if she were not neuro-typical. 

No comments:

Post a Comment