Friday, January 6, 2017

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (reaction)

I have been wanting to see Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children since I first learned of its existence. I enjoy movies, books, and stories about individuals with fantastic abilities. I enjoy (some) Tim Burton movies. I think Eva Green is a rare kind of actress who seems to play herself, but a new version, in everything she's in. That's not a negative comment. She may or may not be a person with an emotional reservoir which can be tapped to fill any role. She seems to be, but I don't know her personally.

Months of watching one trailer and trying to avoid any leaked footage or spoilers were strenuous for me. Finally, my wife and I went to go see it, but alas, our babysitting situation was not as firm as we were led to believe. That was our one chance to see it in the theater.

Then Amazon released Miss Peregrine's School for Peculiar Children and I purchased it. But there was never a night to see it. Watching the movie had become an itch that needed to be scratched. We almost watched it on our recent trip to Washington (state) at my sister-in-law's house, but there was an inexplicable error with the sound equipment and it was not to be.

Tonight, I sat my wife down (and my daughter) and we watched it. There was action, adventure, "whimsical horror" (as my wife calls it), and an appearance in the film by Tim Burton. At least, I'm pretty sure it was him. I haven't had the chance to do any research online about the film as I only just finished watching it.

My daughter is six and normally very brave about watching "scary" movies. This movie may become a feature in nightmares for weeks to come. I'm not sure what elements scared her the most, but there wasn't a single part of the movie that made her jump or scream, so I'll have to draw it out of her.

There were numerous seeming plot holes that bothered me and my wife. I will discuss them in a later post, marked clearly as containing spoilers. For now, I will simply give it a rating. I would give it three stars out of five. I liked it but found there were distracting elements which took me out of the fantasy.

I recommend against taking small children to see the film. May not be a suitable date night film.

No comments:

Post a Comment