Monday, October 2, 2017

Blogtober Day 2: First Love

     My first actual love, outside of the "Sometimes-I-Just-Want-To-Punch-You" Familial Love, was for, my now wife, Andrea. As short and sweet as that sounds, we went through a lot to simply say, "We were high-school sweethearts." Which is true, but doesn't cover the intervening time between high school and marriage.

When we started dating, it was with the understanding that I was going to be leaving in just a few months to go on a two-year mission for my church to another place. I wouldn't be allowed to call her on the phone, receive visits, or even email her on the regular. Our main form of communication was snail mail. I was bad at writing, but she somehow made it work. She diligently wrote to me, even after I broke up with her. She knew I was lonely, that no one else was writing to me regularly, and that she had said she would.

Flash forward to the end of my time away: my (ex) friend was dating her. It made me so upset to see them together. I didn't know how to express what I felt for her, but I did know that I wanted to be with her. I spent a month carefully planning and enacting my plan to win her back- and despite all that, she still decided to give me another chance.

That chance became a whirlwind courtship which blossomed into full-on marriage within that year. If you love something, set it free. If you love SOMEONE, stalk them relentlessly until they consent to wife you.

No comments:

Post a Comment